Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Writing from the British Museum

Today I came across two pieces of writing that I really enjoyed. In typing and reflecting on them, I realize that they match the mode and tone of the previous blog post that I composed this morning. Just a more upbeat note: I had a great time at the British Museum today!

Both of these writing pieces were conceived by students in London when reflecting on a famous print.

Inspired by The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Isolated from reality and time,
In the light of the stars lay his desire,
His life a lie, a pretense, a mime,
Little did he know his time would expire,
The stars fade as he fulfils his longing,
Is she worth that dream, that green light.
Here never leaving but never belonging,
Admire his will, his motive, his fight,
No-one sees as he takes his last breath,
Life continues normally after his death.
Siama Begum

The second passage aligned somewhat with my night in the hostel last night.

Inspired by The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams

This is a madhouse. There is no space to think,
No space to breathe. No space to be alone save
the palms of my hands. Her hands attack my
body, his groans my ears. I seek the comfort of
my dark, silent palms from their constant
presence and nagging and tugging and invading.
From the isolation that their company brings, I
need fluidity, my personality and my dreams.
We exist and function as one interfused mass of
automatism. This is life.
Katie Barnes-Managhan

No comments:

Post a Comment