Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ramblings of a Wanderer

Intention has failed me today. I began the day with the best of intentions. I planned a visit to the National Gallery (a huge FREE art gallery). All started well and I did my best to understand impressionism. Soon though, my intellectual pursuits became lost to idiotic wandering. I had forsaken the contents of the inside world for a London that was uncharacteristically sunny and warm.

Just because I rejected academia, that doesn't mean that I failed to study. I simply focused on the wrong things. I studied the curves of the feminine landscape rather than the cityscape. I mocked the monarch that birthed my fledgling government when I failed to be imitated by changing guards and palaces. Sitting on the steps of great monuments, I averted my eyes from upward reverence of Admiral Nelson for a study of the masses.

I can already here the questions of my return. Did you see Buckingham Palace? I think so. What about Big Ben? I'm pretty sure. These great monuments outlined my path but did not foster my complete attention.

I am certain that I saw many brilliant sights. I just lacked the intellect to appreciate them to the full extent or with their deserved reverence. So it goes with the travel who is wonton of knowledge. In my ignorant bliss, I continue to push forward.

For those of you who do want to know the details of my sight seeing, here is a list of some of the things that I remember.

-Multiple bridges across the river Thames
-Big Ben and Parliament
-The Supreme Court (a highlight of the day)
-Numerous children chasing pigeons
-A falconer trying to chase these pigeons beyond their reach
-China town in the height of rush hour
-A diverse collection of people filling my ears with the unique sounds of their thoughts

NIC

No comments:

Post a Comment