Saturday, September 22, 2012

Transcending Through Humour

I love the Onion. This satirical newspaper takes the serious matters of the day and lampoons them with tremendous skill. Giving the appearance of reality the headlines draw readers into an article with the question of this can't be real. My favorite part of the Onion are the comments received in response. Often they provide associated one liners but occasionally the comments become serious whether or not that was the intention. This brief diversion from the road is a response to one comment that sparked a day long of reflection by this traveler.

The article that sparked this response with titled "Now that my campaign is over, I would like to talk to you about the Church of the Later Day Saints." Mitt Romney is the focus of the feature and appears with superimposed glasses, white dress shirt and black neck tie of the Mormon missionary. The article assumes the voice of Romney vacating the presidential race because of his latest gaff and taking up the cause of conversion to the faith.

In the comments that I received from my Facebook repost, two or three chuckled an affirmation. Then one of my friends posted a question of my persistence into the afterlife. In other words, would I be going to hell for reposting this Onion article? What if the Mormons are correct and I spend eternity in hell. Like all good humor, it held a bit of reality to offer an edge. I began to think about my eternal prospects an return to you with these thoughts.

Does my lack of belief of the Judeo-Christian god ensure that I am condemned to hell? (To start this argument let us hold the Mormon faith as a part of the Judeo-Christian tradition. I want to examine one argument before attacking twelve.) When I examine this question, I am lead to take a further look at who god is? In other words, are the organized religions god? Do I have to follow a human institution of faith to be able to reach god? (I know this reflection will have more questions than answers so prepare yourself for the squiggle that is ?.)

One major difference between my beliefs (remember this as well, I speak only for myself.) and the beliefs of the Judeo-Christian faith is the need to follow the traditions of the sect that one is associated with. As a general rule (not always), if one does not follow the "correct" sect of faith, they will be condemned to eternity in hell. I have issues with this belief. My experience with organized religion, (raised Methodist, attended Lutheran school from grades 2-8, working with Jewish kids at summer camps and providing programming with Navajo and Hopi kids) I view them as a human institution. They have been created by and for humans. The main purpose that I have observed is the sublimation of many for the power and wealth of the few. Generally these few are white, male and hold the answers. The populace will receive an occasional charity in return for their service but are mainly compensated with the assurance of an afterlife.

I see my relationship to the big question (I can't say that I know what, who or if so I'll leave it as a question.) as a solitary one. I have no role in the relationship that others have with their deity, why should they expect to be a part of mine. I have enough doubt, guilt, anguish and human error in the relationship myself. I don't need a collection of others to add their human faults. As for traditions and habits, I am working on forming the habits of a healthy life. Brushing my teeth, bathing, organizing and acquiring material goods consume enough of my time.

In some ways this is a lonely pursuit and relationship. (It has been a one way relationship all my life.) With out the congregation, what am I left with? My answer is service. I serve everyone that I can. I try (and I am failing miserably) to serve others at all times. Generally, this service comes through my employment. Here I try my best to serve the task that I have been given and provide the greatest value possible. (I know this last part goes a bit against capitalism but that is a reflection for another time.) I am greedy, lazy, and lack commitment but I try.

So, I get to the pearly gates of the netherworld and it turns out the Mormons were right all along. Do I go to hell? In some ways, whether I go up or down, I will already by in hell. (Here, I have to forsake the Mormon faith for the sake of the argument. I'm quite certain that you come place your faith here.) The afterlife and confirmation of the Mormon's purity creates this hell because of the justification for years of repression, hatred and acts against humanity. If you are not with us, you are against us, a US president once said. Those against or repressed by the Mormon faith tend to be those that I seek most to serve: people of color, women and the poor. If it is confirmed that the Mormon faith has proven correct, these people lose their humanity and human dignity. For me this is hell.

So after all of this reality, I need to add a little humor. I will leave this debate in the fictional automobile of the Oh Brother Where Art Thou world. After being baptized and saved, Delmar, Pete and Everett (not baptized or affiliated), pick up Tommy from the side of the road. It is soon revealed that Tommy has sold his soul to the devil.

Delmar: Oh son. For that you sold your everlasting soul.

Tommy: Well, I wasn't using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment