Sunday, October 14, 2012

Finding Writing to Break the Block

I'm struggling to bring back the discipline of writing to my travels. In order to revive myself, I am hoping to use the writing of others bring it back. I have selected for this post and may continue to select other pieces of writing that I read on the road with parallels to my existence and are stated more clearly than I can manage at the moment. (Cite this last sentence as a prime example.)

This is a reflection of the Levin character in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I purchased Anna Karenina in Edinburgh, Scotland. My hope was to finish another Russian masterpiece on my travels. So far I read about half with great enjoyment. There are certain methods and arguments that make Tolstoy's writing transcendent.

This section displays the thoughts of Levin. He is a noble that proposes to his true love only to be rejected. He recovers from this denial by redoubling his efforts at farming, physical labor and the pursuits of writing. In this scene, Levin has just awoken from a night sleeping in a meadow on a stack of hay.

'Well, what am I to do then? How am I to do it?' he said to himself, trying to put into words all that he had thought and felt during that short night. All those thoughts and feelings were divided into three separate lines of argument. On was to renounce his old life, his useless knowledge, his utterly needless education. This renunciation gave him pleasure and was simple and easy for him. Other thoughts and notions concerned the life he wished to live now. The simplicity, the purity, the legitimacy of this life he felt clearly, and he was convinced that he would find satisfaction, repose and dignity, the absence of which he felt so painfully. But the third line of arguement turned around the question of how to make this transition from the old life to the new. And here nothing clear presented itself to him. 'To have a wife? To have work and the necessity to work? To leave Pokrovskoe? To buy land? To join a community? To marry a peasant woman? How am I to do it?' he asked himself again, and found no answer. 'However, I didn't sleep all night and can't give myself a clear accounting,' he told himself. 'I'll clear it up later. One thing is sure, that this night has decided my fate. All my former dreams about family life are nonsense, not the right thing,' he said to himself. 'All this is much simpler and better...

No comments:

Post a Comment